Chick"n fried "Steak"
Vegan Chick'n Fried "Steak" with Creamy Mash and Grilled Asparagus
BY: RONNISHIA JOHNSON
Last week we had an awesome live with @cookingwithjoya. Joya is a vegan chef from Charlotte, North Carolina, who specializes in bomb ass vegan comfort and soul food. We had the pleasure of being apart of her "Chef Joya & Friends" series. She has developed a platform that allows vegan chefs to create community, converse, and share recipes! We know the Covid-19 has impacted many families as well as small businesses due to the social distancing orders. The impact has affected
us in many ways, but also has allowed opportunities to spark creativity. We were honored to be apart of this Series! Many of you stated you were tuned in..however since we were making so much conversation, we realized the recipe could have been difficult to follow. So without further ado.....here it is.
“Chicken Fried Steak with Creamy Mashed Potatoes and Grilled Asparagus:
SERVING SIZE:1-2 People
COOK TIME: 45 MINUTES
1 CAN OF COCONUT MILK
2 POTOBELLO MUSHROOM CAPS
2 CLOVES OF GARLIC
WHITE WINE VINEGAR
BROWN SUGAR OR COCONUT SUGAR
VEGAN WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
3 LARGE IDAHO POTATOES
CAJUN SEASONING (WE USED TONY’S)
VEGETABLE BOUILLION (WE USED NOT-CHICK’N)
TRUFFLE SALT (FAR WEST FUNGI)
GRAPE SEED OIL
1. DICE UP YOUR YELLOW ONION, GREEN ONION, AND FRESH GARLIC AND ADD INTO A BOWL.
2. COMBINE WITH LIQUID SMOKE, WHITE WINE VINEGAR, COCONUT SUGAR, BLACK PEPPER, PAPRIKA, ONION POWDER, GARLIC POWDER, STEAK SAUCE, A DASH OF LEMON JUICE, AND CAJUN SEASONING. MIX AROUND.
3. WASH PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM CAPS. PLACE THEM IN MARINADE MIXTURE AND REFRIGERATE FOR 2-3 HOURS. BE SURE NOT TO OVER MARINATE, SINCE MUSHROOMS HOLD A LOT OF WATER.
1. WASH AND PEEL YOUR POTATOES.
2. BRING A POT OF WATER TO BOIL WITH VEGETABLE BROTH OR BOUILLON. AND PLACE PEELED POTATOES IN IT.
3. BOIL UNTIL POTATOES BECOME SOFT……THEN DRAIN OUT THE WATER.
4. COMBINE ABOUT ½ CUP OF COCONUT MILK AND BUTTER INTO SOFT POTATOES AND STIR. ADD MORE COCONUT MILK AS NEEDED.
5. ADD SEASONING SUCH AS TRUFFLE SALT AND BLACK PEPPER.
1. WASH AND CHOP THE ENDS OF ASPARAGUS AND PLACE IN A BAKING SHEET.
2. BASE THE ASPARAGUS WITH VEGAN BUTTER
3. DICE UP FRESH GARLIC AND BASE ASPARAGUS WITH GARLIC
4. ADD PAPRIKA, TRUFFLE SALT, PEPPER, AND LEMON JUICE
5. PLACE IN THE OVER AT 375 DEGREES AND BAKE FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES OR TO YOUR DESIRE. (WE LIKE OUR ASPARGUS ON THE CRUNCHY SIDE)
1. FOR YOUR WET BATTER……COMBINE COCONUT MILK INTO A BOWL
2. FOR DRY BATTER……..POUR 1 CUP OF FLOUR AND A DASH OOF CORN STARCH (THIS HELPS WITH CRUNCH) INTO A BOWL AND LIGHTLY SEASON WITH CAJUN SEASONING, GARLIC POWDER, PAPRIKA, BLACK PEPPER, AND ONION POWDER (REMEMBER NOT TO OVER SEASON BECAUSE THE MUSHROOM IS MARINATED)
3. GRAB A DEEP SKILLET AND POUR GRAPE SEED OIL INTO THE SKILLET. TURN OIL ON TO MEDIUM HIGH. ONCE YOU HEAR THE SIZZLING SOUND YOU KNOW THE OIL IS HOT ENOUGH TO FRY.
4. IN THE MEANTIME…..DIP MARINATED MUSHROOM CAPS INTO WET BATTER AND THEN INTO THE DRY BATTER. PLEASE COAT IT COMPLETELY.
5. ONCE THE OIL IS HOT….PLACE CAPS INTO THE OIL ONE BY ONE AND FRY UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN.
6. PLACE ONA FRYING RACE OR PAPER TOWEL TO DRAIN EXCESS GREASE.
1. GET A SKILLET AND PLACE ON MEDIUM HEAT. ONCE SKILLET IS HOT ADD BUTTER AND SLOWLY POUR IN ½ CUP OF FLOWER. MAKE SURE TO WISK OR STIR TO PREVENT THE FLOUR FROM BURNING OR OVER THICKENING.
2. ADD SEASON TO FLOUR SUCH AS GARLIC POWDER, TRUFFLE SALT, BLACK PEPPER.
3. ONCE FLOUR HAS GIVEN YOU A NICE TINT IN COLOR, TURN DOWN THE HEAT AND ADD COCONUT MILK TO THIN IT OUT. STIR AS YOUR ARE ADDING IT TO GET A NICE AND SMOOTH GRAVY.